Monday, December 07, 2020

👑 The Palace of Versailles

Hi there and thanks for stopping by! One of our very favorite sights during our most recent visit to France is the Palace of Versailles. I honestly could've spent days roaming the halls, dreaming of all the amazing outfits Marie Antoinette wore during her time there. The architecture and opulence is breathtaking, and I think it's a must-see for everyone visiting the area. 

We happened to visit on a winter Sunday afternoon, and unbeknownst to us, it was free admission! This meant an extremely long line (in the rain, ugh), but it moved very quickly since there weren't any payments to process, only the security check. I was amazed at how many people were there, but since the space is so large, it wasn't all that crowded. 

We toured the palace for about 2 hours, took loads of pictures, perused the gift shops, and finished off our afternoon with lunch at Angelina's. The food was very good (we had the croque monsieur, French onion soup, and shared some macarons) and there's something so magical about dining inside the palace.

My 2 favorite rooms were the Chapel and the Hall of Mirrors. The sheer scale and grandeur is unlike any other palace or castle I've ever seen.

Here's some pics I snapped during our visit:

Ornate, golden gates. These are replicas covered in gold leaf since the original ones were destroyed during the Revolution, and they cost about 8 million dollars!

The rain didn't ruin our good time! The entire property was so stunning, can you believe Versailles was built on a swamp?!?

If I were living in King Henry XIV's days, I would've had to rent a fancier outfit at the palace entrance. Everyone was free to roam the gardens and palace, but you had to be well dressed!


The Chapel-I so wish we could've attended mass here!

The hall of mirrors, lots of them...357 in fact!

A pic snapped in the Hall of Mirrors, probably the fanciest selfie we'll ever take, haha.

Such an elegant bed...there weren't any mattresses back then as we think of them, instead they were bags filled with straw or feathers. I'll gladly take my memory foam, hehe.

The King's bed chamber. I can't imagine waking up to an entire crowd of people every morning to dress me and get me ready for the day. Thank goodness for the gate!

Next time I would love to check out the Grand Trianon and some more of the gardens, the weather was pretty crummy and since it was our last afternoon in France, we had to scurry to catch our flight. Until next time, Versailles!

Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment