Friday, February 07, 2020

🥣 Italian Wedding Soup


Need a cozy meal in a hurry? I’ve got you covered! Italian wedding soup is called just that because it’s the perfect “marriage” of the two main ingredients, greens and meat (balls).

It’s healthy, delicious, and who doesn’t love a good one-bowl meal? We love eating soup once a week for dinner in our house and paired with some garlic bread and a glass of wine, this wedding soup is a winner!

Everyone seems to have their own version, but this is mine. This recipe can be reduced or doubled, but I usually get 6-8 decent portions. Instead of a precise recipe I’ll walk you through how I make it:


Italian Wedding Soup~

First, get your soup going. Chop an onion (put half aside for the meatballs), 3 carrots, and 3 stalks of celery. Sauté until softened in a teaspoon of oil.

Then add your chicken stock. You need 12 cups total and it depends what I have on hand. You can use frozen, boxed, whatever you have.

When the stock gets good and hot, chop an entire bag of spinach and add to the broth (frozen spinach would work well here too).

For the meatballs, I mix 1.5 lbs ground turkey, 1 egg, 1/3 c breadcrumbs, 1/3 c grated cheese, 1/2 sautéed onion, salt, pepper, and a large squirt of ketchup in a bowl. Mix and roll into tiny meatballs (small enough to fit on a soup spoon) and line up on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake about 15 minutes at 400 and plop into the soup!

While the meatballs are going, boil your pasta in a large pot of salted water. Anything small would work, we love using orzo, ditalini, or tiny shells.

Combine everything and top with some freshly grated cheese before serving. Enjoy!

Do you have a favorite soup you make for your family? Let me know down below, I love hearing from you.

Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, but I think it might need a few fava beans? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make mine based on my Sicilian grandfather’s recipe, but the beauty of Italian cooking is that there’s so many different interpretations. Fava beans sound like a very interesting addition! Have a great weekend Helen! :)

      Delete