Monday, June 14, 2021

🌺 Orchid Tips For Beginners

Hi there and thanks for stopping by! While I don’t have a super green thumb or consider myself a botanist by any means, I’ve been keeping my little $15 Trader Joe’s orchid alive for nearly 2 years now! Its gone through 3 hibernation cycles so far and I’m always amazed when it blooms again.

It’s been a learning experience and I’ve done loads of research, so I thought I’d share some quick tips in case you have an orchid too!

*Plant your orchid in an airy planter with rocks, not dirt. 
Also, only replant when it’s finished blooming. Orchids like their roots to breathe and be free.

*Orchid food makes a big difference.
I use this mist Miracle Grow spray, it was recommended to me from some online research. It’s inexpensive and I give it a few spritzes when I water it weekly. Make sure not to spray any new growth though.

*Don’t over-water.
Once a week is plenty. Too much water can lead to root rot. If you’re unsure, too little water is better than too much.

*Indirect sunlight is best. 
A bright windowsill is the perfect spot. Mines currently near eastern facing window so it gets lots of morning sun.

*50-85 degrees F is best.
Even though orchids scream “tropical”, they actually do well in cooler temps.

*Prune when necessary. 
If any of your stems turn a yellow/brown color, that means it’s finished supporting life. You can trim it down or remove that spike entirely.

With good care an orchid can have a lifespan of 100 years or more! Isn’t that incredible?!?

Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day. :)

PS~A very Happy Father's Day this weekend to my dad, the best guy I know. Love ya! πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š

6 comments:

  1. Orchids have become one of my favorite flowers/plants. The local garden club has an Orchid group and when they have their show/sale I love going. And I'm a sucker for orchids. There are a couple of kinds that are kind of ugly or just too weird. I put mine outside on the east end of my front porch for the summer. For winter I have to rearrange the things in my south bay window. I put down the 'doggie/puppy' accident pads to protect the floor from my watering accidents. And I must be doing something right (total novice) as I've been happy to get them to rebloom! Isn't that the greatest feeling? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the very best feeling. :) I’ve gotten mine to re-bloom for a 3rd time now and it makes me feel like I’m doing something right. Thanks for reading Helen!

      Delete
    2. I always enjoy checking on what you are doing. :)

      Delete
    3. Aww thank you Helen! Hope you’re having a great start to your week.

      Delete
    4. Dang I tried to paste a picture here, but technology defeated me. :)

      Delete
    5. Email it to me! ciaobellablog119@gmail.com

      Delete