Monday, March 11, 2019

⚜️ King Cake

Good morning! I hope your coffee is strong today after losing an hour of sleep this weekend. Today I want to share with you our Fat Tuesday experience of trying a king cake:

After living down south in Tennessee for several years, I always heard of the king cake tradition on Fat Tuesday and throughout the Lenten season, but never tried one. We always had donuts in our family to celebrate, and Krispy Kreme was conveniently located very close to my apartment in Franklin. :)

This year after doing a little research we found Silver Moon Bakery in Manhattan sells traditional southern king cakes. (If you would like to read more about the origins of the tradition, check this out). 



My husband David was able to stop in and pick it up Tuesday night after work and we had so much fun trying to guess who was going to get the piece with the Baby Jesus inside it, or fève. My dad found it inside his piece-meaning he gets to be king for the day and have good luck! 



Aside from the fun, the cake itself was pretty tasty. It’s basically a very plain cinnamon flavored coffee cake with a white icing drizzle and topped with the 3 colors of Mardi Gras in sugar, yellow for power, green for faith, and purple for justice. 

I love trying new things and found this to be a fun experience that may just turn into a yearly tradition! (We still like Krispy Kreme better though, hehe)

Do you have any fun springtime traditions? Let me know down below, I’d love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment