Monday, August 12, 2019

⚕️ Skin Cancer Awareness


Hello there and Happy Monday! Although I strive to make this space an upbeat one, today's topic has a more serious note, but I felt the need to share. 

I have a family history of skin cancer on both sides of my family, and have been going to a dermatologist for skin cancer screenings for my entire adult life. This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions, with the end result being a biopsy that has come back as cancerous and needs more of an excision. I am so very lucky that this was caught early, but was also terrified when my doctor called me on Friday afternoon with the results.

I never want to come across as preachy, but want to urge everyone reading to take sun safety seriously. I asked my doctor about sunscreens and he feels creams are better than sprays because most people don't use a sufficient amount, and that protective clothing is the very best way to protect your skin. I did a little online shopping and purchased a few swim shirts from Lands' End that are made with UPF 50 protection. They're on major sale right now if you're interested.

A few other points to note, wear hats and sunglasses whenever you're outdoors-your eyes and scalp can suffer from sun damage too! Wear a product with sunscreen in it daily, you wouldn't believe the amount of sun you can get just from driving in your car. Avoid the sun during it's hottest hours if you can, and if you see something new or different or suspicious on your skin, get it checked out! 

Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions or want to chat, I am by no means an expert but am more than happy to help!

Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment