Friday, June 26, 2020

♻️ Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Hi there and thanks for stopping by! Today I want to share with you a few things I've added to my daily life to try and help others and the planet. I always love learning new ways I can waste less, share more, and do my small part to respect Mother Nature and help my community. Here's a few things I've been participating in to do my part:


I feel like I've tried every brand of makeup removing towelettes on the market, but now that I know Burt’s Bees are made from repurposed cotton, these will be the only ones I purchase from now on. They use the excess fabric from cotton clothing production, and you can even see the little specks from colored fabrics! These are super gentle (99.5% natural), inexpensive, and take every last speck of makeup off too.

This program has been around for a while, but if you return 6 empty MAC packaging containers to one of their counters, you can pick out any lipstick of your choice free of charge! I love MAC’s powder foundation and their lip glosses, so I keep a little bag in the back of my bathroom vanity to stash my empty containers. I love companies that promote recycling and less waste.

Along the same lines, Nespresso also encourages their customers to recycle their espresso pods. You can request a recycling bag that comes with a prepaid label with any order, fill it up, and mail it back to them free of charge. You can also turn in used pods at any boutique or partner store. The aluminum is recycled and the grounds are turned into nutrient-rich compost. It’s a small way to feel good about your morning cup of java!

This one is newer to me, but it’s such a neat concept I just have to share. If you check out their website you can see the list of stores that participate in this program (Amazon and Nordstrom, to name a few).

The gist of it is the next time you receive a package in the mail from one of these stores, you can fill it with at least 5 items of seasonally-appropriate clothing (up to 70 lbs), print out a free label, and mail it. They route it to the closest charity to your home needing donations, and it really helps with my “One-in, One-out” motto for my closet, while giving clothes to those in need.

According to their website, 26 BILLION pounds of clothing go into landfills every year, while 95% of it can be recycled. That’s mind boggling!

Another way you can recycle your old jeans is to drop them off at any Madewell store. They turn them into housing insulation (isn’t that amazing?!?) and they’ll reward you with $20 off a new pair! To date they’ve saved 415 tons of waste from landfills and turned it into enough insulation for over 1100 houses!

These are just a drop in the bucket. If everyone helps a little to do their part, the earth will be a happier and healthier place to live!

What are your favorite ways to recycle and help your community? Let me know down below, I love hearing from you.

Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment